Episteme: A Miscellany for Anthro/Design Research Geeks

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pulchritude, Gay Sex, and Transforming Consumption in Bogotá


This sounds like a rather odd blog-title, but remember: I'm in Colombia, the place the created (or inspired) the likes of Gabriel García Marquez or that anthropologist whose writing seems intentionally obfuscatory and intends to be shamanistic poetic all at once, Michael Taussig.

I don't aim to be poetic, metaphysical, or especially artistic in part II of this post. But I want to write a bit about a dinner that I prepared in a very pleasant condo in Bogotá last night where I learned a bit about my lovely hosts, deodorant, gay sex, and the idea of consumption. Creation of
pulchritude through consumption, perhaps? (What an ugly word that is, considering that it aims to signal beauty, right?)

The label on this (probably) 12 year old bottle of deodorant cream says "Pulcritud a toda hora con Yodora," beauty all the time with Yodora, which is where leave things for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home